Welcome to Barrie Central Collegiate!
For the first time in your school career you get to choose some of the courses you take. It's also the time to explore what you want to do for a job when you're older.
Sometimes students feel nervous about starting high school—that's completely normal. Any time we go through a big change in our life, it's natural to have some nerves. It's important to know that you're not alone. You and hundreds of other students are starting grade 9 for the first time. Some students will come from other elementary schools, so it's a chance to meet new people.
High school also offers even more sports and activities than elementary school. There is a lot to choose from, and getting involved in activities is one of the best ways to meet people and make friends who have the same interests as you do.
Our school participates in the nationwide Link Crew Program, an organization whose sole purpose is to help grade nines feel more comfortable as well as help them achieve success in their first year of high school.
The Link Crew grade nine orientation and transition program is designed to both welcome and support grade nines by assigning them a senior student Link Leader as a mentor during this first year. This Link Leader is a responsible older student who was hand selected from a large pool of applicants and has met the qualifications of being a good role model and a positive leader at our school.
Here’s what to expect from Link Crew:
- An invitation to Grade Nine Orientation Day will arrive in the mail the summer before grade 9. Call the school if you don’t receive your invitation.
- A day or two before the orientation your Link Crew Leader will call to personally invite you to orientation day and provide the details you need.
- You’ll be updated throughout the year on the various activities and fundraisers happening at school
- Link Crew will host several spirit activities designed just for grade 9 students.
- Link Crew members will provide support throughout the year, both academically and socially.